Adverse Weather Closure
Arrangements in the event of adverse weather conditions
The School will make every effort to remain open whenever possible.
The decision to close the school will be made by the Head Teacher. The school will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply:
- Insufficient staff are able to keep the school running safely.
- Conditions on site are dangerous.
- Conditions are considered to be or are anticipated to later become too hazardous to travel.
A message will appear on the school website
- Eagle Radio will make announcements about school closures on a regular basis throughout the day and usually put closures on their website (964eagle.co.uk)
- A Parentmail email message will be sent out to all parents registered
- All school closures are listed on the Surrey County Council website (surreycc.gov.uk)
- We will also endeavour to put a message on the school answerphone.
If you do not have access to a computer or to Parentmail, we ask that you speak to other parents at the school who will be able to advise you of the latest situation. Any decision to close the school will be made, if possible, by 8am. However, please continue to check the website as weather conditions can deteriorate very quickly and could force a school closure later in the day.
If we need to close the school once the school day has begun, the same procedures above will apply, but we would please request that you telephone the school to confirm pick up arrangements for your child.
Closure during the school day: Should the weather deteriorate during a school day pupils will only be sent home if there are satisfactory arrangements for them returning safely. Should any parent/carer wish to make any alternative arrangements for their child they should telephone to make us aware of the arrangements. The decision to close will be communicated through the same methods as above.
It is vital that we have up-to-date telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Arrangements for contacting staff:
In addition to the school website, ParentMail announcements and updates will be made through the staff e-mail system. As above, please assume that the school is open unless otherwise informed.
Staff experiencing difficulties should contact the Head Teacher or Deputy Head Teacher in the usual way if they are unable to travel or are delayed.
Useful Contacts: School website: www.stjosephsguildford.com
Surrey County Council: www.surreycc.gov.uk
BBC Local Radio 104 and 104.6 FM www.bbc.co.uk/bbcsurrey
Eagle Radio 96.4 FM www.964eagle.co.uk/